Blog Post Title : Te Reo, Term 4 2016.
This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marae is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focused on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The procedures of a Marae
A welcoming ceremony to the Manuhiri
Are the local people
Visitors to a Marae
A home base on a Marae. It also includes rights and obligations
Care and respect for other people
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.